We at COA Youth & Family Centers have loads of family-friendly activities planned for this summer. From fun science field trips and overnight camps, to daily meals and enrichment in Moody Park, COA has got every member of the family covered! Here is just a sample of the exciting programs and events COA has for Milwaukee’s children, youth and families for summer 2018:
- COA has kicked off our daily outdoor summer programming in sunny Moody Park. Staff at COA’s Gill Family Resource Center in the Goldin Center (2320 W Burleigh), next door to Moody Park, are working hard to provide hundreds of children and families in Amani and beyond with a wide assortment of enrichment activities, including Stories in the Park, Simba Soccer Camp, and Milwaukee Repertory Theatre. COA has also partnered with Hunger Task Force again to provide free daily healthy meals for families at the Goldin Center from June 18th – August 24th.
- Families can also spend quality time indoors: the Family Resource Centers at both the Goldin Center and the Riverwest Center (909 E Garfield) have daily drop-in time and offer families opportunities to participate in a full range of fun and stimulating activities including parenting classes, play-time, and kid-friendly libraries.
- Preteens (ages 6-12) will enjoy activities like field trips, sports, art, science, recreation and more at summer day camp, held from June 18th-August 24th at COA’s Goldin Center and Riverwest Center. Teens (ages 13-18) will also experience a 10-week summer day camp, which includes positive enrichment activities in a safe space. Both preteens and teens will spend this summer making new friends, developing new skills, and exploring Milwaukee.
- Daily summer program at COA’s seven Community Learning Centers (CLCs) provides a nurturing environment where children ages 4-18 can learn and grow. Summer activities include academic enrichment, recreational programs, and weekly field trips. Daily CLC programming is offered at COA’s Goldin Center, Hopkins-Lloyd Community School, Doerfler School, Lincoln Center of the Arts, Oliver Wendell Holmes School, Westside Academy, and Riverside University High School.
- Six and 12-day overnight summer camp sessions at COA’s 206-acre Camp Helen Brachman in central Wisconsin give youth the chance to experience action-packed days and nights of fun, friendship, and adventurous activities like boating, biking, fishing, arts, and more.
- Preteens at both COA’s Goldin and Riverwest Centers will enjoy an immersive Summer STEM Camp from June 18th – August 24th.This camp is part of COA’s new Kohl’s Explore Your Future STEM program, which has so far given over 1,500 children engaging and interactive Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics activities.
- On Friday, June 22nd from 8:30am – 4:30pm COA will host a Community Garden Party at the Goldin Center. We’ll be working with Amani residents and community partners including Amani United, Safe & Sound, Milwaukee Repertory Theater, Milwaukee County, UW-Extension, and Teens Grow Greens to beautify the gardens at Moody Park, plant flowers, and clean the surrounding area.
- Join COA and Safe & Sound at the Goldin Center on Saturday, June 23rd from 10:30am – 2:30pm at the Goldin Center for the Amani UnLeaded community lead removal resource fair, which will also feature free food and cool prizes!
- Keep your children safe this summer! Join COA, Safe Kids Wisconsin, and Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin at the Milwaukee Health Department Northwest Health Center (7630 Mill Road) for a Car Seat Safety Seminar on Thursday, June 28th from 1pm-3pm. This free event is open to the public and will feature lessons with certified car seat installation technicians.
July will feature even more STEM highlights for preteens and teens, plus COA’s annual Skyline Music Series!
- Youth from COA’s Riverwest Center will attend a 5-day STEM Camp at Discovery World Science and Technology Museum.
- Kids will get to show off their science and math experiments at COA’s Summer STEM Expo to be held at the Goldin Center on Thursday, July 26th (time TBA).
- Youth will travel to Chicago for exciting field trips to the city’s fabulous Museum of Science and Industry, plus the gorgeous Shedd Aquarium.
- Join COA and the rest of Riverwest and Harambee at the Skyline Music Series! Skyline is a free, family-friendly concert series held at the Selig-Joseph-Folz Amphitheater in Kadish Park. Concerts are held every Tuesday (5:30pm-8:30pm) from July 10th through August 21st. Bring the whole family for an evening of great vibes.
- Mark your calendar for Friday, July 13th (2pm-5pm) for COA’s Harambee POP UP. Hosted on the corner of 3rd and Wright St., this POP UP event showcases program information, events and family resources from leading community organizations.
- Artists Working in Education will park their Truck Studio at COA’s Goldin Center from July 23rd-27th, giving youth the chance to do fun art activities, like painting and drawing.
August is also packed with cool events. On Friday, August 10th (time TBA) COA will host a Riverwest Summer Carnival at our Riverwest Center. We will also honor two great Milwaukee couples at our annual Parents of the Year Luncheon, held on Wednesday, August 15th at the Italian Community Center from 11:30am – 1:30pm. COA’s youth will round out their summer adventures and enjoy a performance from Kohl’s Wild Theater. Last but not least, throughout the summer, COA and Hunger Task Force’s Goldin Center community food pantry is open two Saturdays per month. Be sure to stay connected with COA through Facebook and Twitter to receive updates on new and exciting programs and events for the whole family throughout the summer.